Thursday, April 23, 2015

Giving away money

The Cowles Charitable Trust gave away  $1,094,750 in 2013. And about the same last year. I am not exaggerating. It's not my money, but I get to give it away! It's an honor to be a trustee and, after reading all the grant proposals, to know you are helping great (but small) organizations do their part to improve the world.
So tonight I have to peel my eyelids back and pour through a stack of proposals ranging from protecting civil liberties to supporting museums, medical centers, research institutes, and covering general operating budgets of musical conservancies and art centers, and backing shelters and prison reform, bringing poetry and printed words to the under served, schools, camps, temples, radio stations, and workshops... The list goes on.
The lofty-in-the-sky goals I feel the CCT covers are the needs of the gravely ill, the children, the poor and disenfranchised. It also funds those who have the power in our media to be truthful, clear, and fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment